- Wednesday night: roomservice desert at 11 PM (apple pie a la mode). Let me just say that there is never a good or justifiable reason for me to do this at this time of night. Yes, the desert was tasty, but that experience lasted about 12 seconds. Feeling guilty as I shamefully parked the tray outside my hotel door lasted a good bit longer.
- Thursday lunch: went to the restaurant where I worked for a summer in college (the Tombs in Georgetown). Had a cobb salad, and was HORRIFIED to discover that it came with fried chicken. Which I ate with a big, fat smile on my face. Not an awesome choice, but it's good to have a fried fix now and again.
- Thursday night: minor mini-bar abuse (Pringles and a Cliff bar). Again, not necessary or really all that enjoyable.
- Friday: repeated acceptance of nuts being offered by the conductor on the Amtrak train back to NY
My meals were actually very restrained and healthy across the board. Further, I worked out hard throughout the week (other than Friday morning -- my day started too early to allow for the gym). So this morning I asked myself how I felt about my performance during the week. My answer to me: "not bad, but you are kind of flirting with some old demons."
Therefore, I feel like it's time for me to update my personal healthy habit inventory (I did this roughly six months ago). So here we go. First the good stuff:
- Working out: I feel really good about this part of the equation. I'm pushing myself harder and harder, particularly on cardio workouts. I am totally feeling the benefit, as I feel my endurance continue to increase. I'm pretty sure that exercise has been saving my bacon (pardon the pun) vy covering for my slipping on some other habits (see below).
- Breakfast: As has been the case for some time now, I rule breakfast. Just like Jerry McGuire ruled the living room speech, I own breakfast.
- Lunch: Good boy David! Staying pretty good here, even on weekends.
- Dinner: Again, not bad even when I'm eating out.
- Sneaking: ugh. Just did this with a vengeance last night. Waited for my DSW to head up for the night, and I pillaged the refrigerator like a Hun with a bad attitude.
- Grazing: this one is making me just flat out crazy. Boredom eating is my Waterloo. I'm still doing it (witness the ransacking of the mini bar), and I just can't seem to get a grip on this.
- Accepting gifts from transportation professionals: nuts on airplanes. Nuff said.
- Clean plate club: at least I'm ordering healthy plates, but I'm still polishing them to unnatural levels of cleanness.
Of the four nasty habits above, the sneaking, clean plate club and grazing ones are my real issues. The odd bowl of almonds won't kill me. I feel like I can get a little focus on clean plate club and find a way to make myself leave just a little bit of food, mostly at dinner time. However, I have to admit that I just don't have a grazing/sneaking plan. And I need one. So I am going to make a plan.
Any and all advice on sneaking and grazing is, as always, welcome. How are all of you dealing with this?