- Hot state: when we find ourselves tossed into a situation full of temptation right in front of us and having to make decisions in a vulnerable mental state. For example, if I were to fall into a large vat of mixed nuts, that would likely put me into a hot state. I would deal with the situation by eating my way out of said vat-of-nuts. Not surprisingly, research shows that people are less likely to be make smart decisions in a hot state.
- Cold state: This would be an instance in which we were developing a plan for which the subject of temptation was not immediately in front of us. In a cold state, we can be much more calculating. In this case, I might write a plan to ask for a life preserver when I get tossed into a large vat of nuts and have someone on hand to pull me out.
|Down and Out in Beverly Hills? |
How bad could it really be?
- Once and for all, I am going to attempt to summon every ounce of will power to ask the flight attendant not to offer me nuts. In fact, I may ask her not to even offer before she offers.
- I will order whatever seems the less unhealthy as part of the meal service
- No mini-bar food excursions!
- For the weekend, I might hit a local grocery story and stock up on some fruit in the room so I have alternatives
- Oatmeal 'n fruit 'n yogurt. Pretty easy.
- Whatever healthy thing is available. At the conference, look to use smaller plates.
- Order healthy and try to leave 1/3 of the food on my plate.
- Skip dessert
- Only fruit
- Try to stick to coffee
- This one is easy. Both hotels have good gyms, and one is close to the gym I belong to (Equinox)
- Give myself two dinners where I will take the shackles off a little. I'm thinking Friday and Saturday night. Get back on plan by Sunday night.